Sunday, December 2, 2012

Following the Light


I looked at the sky, it was dark and gloomy, clouded with despair; then I saw a flash.

I couldn’t think.

I was stupefied for a few seconds, then I saw it again; a jet of silvery white light breaking the dismal night sky.

I was awed and breath-taken by that flash. Another came, much greater… I felt the need to open my window, run or fly towards it as fast as I could, chase it from the damp earth to the sky, to its celestial home…

Another flash! I couldn’t resist. My soul leapt from my body, taking its secret form to follow the lightning…

I spread my wings and flew like an eagle, but not one. My wings were much bigger, white and shiny. As I spread them, I could see the sky opening its arms to me, calling out to me, whispering my name in the wind. The thunder roared as I continued my flight.

Cold air entered my lungs; every breath was like a new experience. Below me, everything was tiny and irrelevant. My flight was all that mattered…

I could hear every stroke of my wings beating against gravity. I could feel the wind pushing me forward; it was as excited as I.