Friday, January 19, 2018

Winter's Perfect Remedy – Poem by Nada Adel Sobhi


The scent of hot
Vanilla-flavoured coffee
Enters my nostrils
Fills my mind
Awakening my sleepy senses

Reminds me
Of freshly-baked cakes,
Mouth-watering delights:
Chocolate, caramel, strawberries

Yes winter is coming
And I yearn for the sweet warmth
Of my mint hot chocolate,
Caramel cappuccino
And strawberries
Dipped in chocolate sauce

I take the cup to my lips
It's warm; energising,
Smooth and kind,
A balm
To my early-stage migraine

I breathe the scent, the flavour
Over and over
It eases my throbbing brain,
Wraps me in a cocoon of warmth
And holds me tight

I gaze up at the stars
And call it a night



By: Nada Adel Sobhi



Note: This poem was writing on Friday, 27 October 2017 – a little before winter fully materialised.


One reader told me: "I've never read a more satisfying poem in my entire life!"

No comments:

Post a Comment