Monday, September 5, 2022

Alchemy, Arsenic, and Alibis by Shea MacLeod – Book Review


Alchemy, Arsenic, and Alibis is my first read for Shea MacLeod and it’s the fifth book in her Deepwood Witches Mystery series.

Blog banner featuring a book cover and text saying Alchemy, Arsenic, and Alibis by Shea MacLeod


Synopsis

Deepwood is a cozy town, but every town has its secrets.

As a witch, Edwina Gale has been tasked with keeping those secrets. Purloined donuts, coven meetings, and ancient Egyptian gods run amok are all in a day’s work as far as she’s concerned. But all her carefully laid plans unravel when the chief of police blackmails her into helping him solve a mystery, and she finds herself on the wrong end of magic gone awry.


The book opens with “Edwina Gale was not a witch to be trifled with, especially at six o’clock in the morning.”

I’m not sure how I got my copy of Alchemy, Arsenic, and Alibis but I think it may have been for signing up for her newsletter at some point. And I’m sure happy I got this book!

It’s short, filled with magic – including Ancient Egyptian magic! – action, a mystery and lots of humor. Plus, I loved Edwina!

“If you’re trying to decide whether to play dumb or be honest, I suggest the latter. I know you’re a witch.” 

I liked that the main character is a 60-year-old strong and super confident woman. Edwina comes from a military background and she’s not the person you get piss off and run. You’re done for!

I finished Alchemy, Arsenic, and Alibis in one sitting and immediately picked up another book I’d downloaded as part of Shea MacLeod’s newsletter. It’s Potions, Poisons, and Perils, the first book in the series. 

There aren’t many – if any – memorable quotes in the book but I’ll attribute that to it being a novella-sized paranormal cozy mystery.

So, if you’re looking for a quick, fun, and fast-paced cozy read, then grab Alchemy, Arsenic, and Alibis by Shea MacLeod. It’s a must-read and can easily get you out of a reading block.

 

Overall rating for Alchemy, Arsenic, and Alibis: 5 stars.

Note: I got a free copy of Alchemy, Arsenic, and Alibis for being part of author Shea MacLeod's newsletter.


No comments:

Post a Comment